Pages

Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Half Term - Rest Time

Half term has arrived, and, although this is a short term, we are all relieved to have made it.

The first day of every holiday usually means slightly exhausted children wandering round not quite sure what to do with themselves. They work hard in term time, and are ready for a change but don't quite know what to do. From experience, once they are through the first day, they all quickly settle in to doing all the things they didn't have time for during the term.

Yesterday - the first proper day of the holidays - they were all a bit restless. I never resort to TV on day one - it only postpones the restlessness! I encouraged them to do a bit of craft and reading; they played games together, and had swimming lessons in the afternoon. There was a bit of moping around, but they managed okay.

Today, they are visibly more rested, and are happily doing craft or reading at the moment, all sitting together with Prince Caspian playing in the background. There are occasional sharp words, or calls for help, but it is generally peaceful.

My ten year old is sewing.

My four year old is making a butterfly mosaic.

My six year old is weaving a crab!

My eight year old is engrossed in a fact book.


I'm still at the slightly restless stage; I'm older, and it takes me longer to recover! I have a list of stuff to sort while things are quiet- mainly craft projects to photograph and tidy away, marking to do, and planning for next term. I also want to read a bit and bake a bit and sew a bit. We'll see. If I am refreshed and ready for the next half of term, it will have been a good break.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Lizzy, as always an enjoyable post. Interesting that you keep to the same terms as school. Does this enable you to connect with other (non-homeschool) friends more easily? You also mentioned planning for the coming term. Maybe you could consider a blog post in future talking about the planning that goes into your sessions. I wonder if there is a large difference between reading through pre-prepared curriculum compared with creating your own lessons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We broadly keep the same terms as school. As you say, this makes meeting up with friends easier. Church life often still reflects school terms too to some extent, so we fit in with that. If we want to go on holiday, however, we take our break at a different time as it is much cheaper!

      I will write about planning at some point - but I do think it is much easier to prepare from curriculum than to create your own lessons. The time is spent working out when to do each subject, and how much of everything to do for each child.

      Delete