Pages

Friday, 6 May 2016

Friday Reflections - 2

Friday again; always a relief to make it!

This week has felt a bit uneven; we have had restful days, ordinary days, and busy days. The variety is fun, but I find it all a bit exhausting too.

On Saturday, the children enjoyed a trip to the circus with their grandparents, while Michael and I went for a gentle walk, and visited tea shops for refreshment.

Sunday was particularly busy for me, as I was leading Young Church. It felt a bit disastrous, which is always discouraging - but we press on! We also had church lunch, which was our first church picnic of the year. I forgot to make a meringue for pavlova (not my finest weekend as a pastor's wife...) so cobbled together an Eton Mess. My eldest made profiteroles, which were more successful! In hindsight, getting everything together for Young Church while lightly supervising a ten year old making choux pastry was probably not the best plan.

Profiteroles


We didn't work at all on the Bank Holiday, except for piano lessons and swimming lessons, which was very pleasant. Michael took the opportunity to hack back some of the bushes in the garden, while I did a few chores in the home and caught up with my marking and planning, and we all relished a slightly slower day.

Highlights of the week have been enjoying the sunshine, including playing with the guinea pigs.

Feeding Wilma...

...and Pumba
 Remarkably, the clematis we planted last year is flowering at the moment (we are not natural gardeners).

Clematis

Four of our caterpillars are growing, and are just getting to the chrysalis stage. One is looking a bit small, and I'm not sure it's going to make it.

Caterpillars

My eldest has been loving having a hamster recently, and often appears carrying her after he has finished a piece of work. She has recently become much more tame, after a lot of patient handling by my 10 year old.

We also joined with a number of other home educating families to visit the Bank of England Museum. We went round the display, and there were also two workshops, one for the younger children which my 4 and 6 year olds attended, and one for the older children, which I went to with my 8 and 10 year olds. The children really enjoyed the museum, and, I think, learned quite a bit too.



After we came home, my six year old headed off to stay with his grandparents overnight. They have each of the children on their own once a year, and it is a really special time for each of them. He is now back, and full of all the fun he has had with them.

Today, Friday, was our home education group, where we focussed on New Zealand. The children listened to a book about kiwi birds, coloured maps and flags, made fridge magnets of kiwi birds or sheep, and made cupcake sheep too.

My daughter carefully cutting foam to make a magnet.

Sheep Cupcakes

Kiwi Bird Magnet


So, we made it. In all honesty, it hasn't always felt like a great week at times. However, as I look back there have been many good things. More than this, I can see again the sustaining work of God in our lives in the midst of weariness. I have been reading His Love Endures Forever by Garry Williams this week, and this has been a great help to me, as it has brought me to focus on the steadfast love of God. I was particularly struck by a quotation from Robert Murray M'Cheyne about the changelessness of Jesus:
"How sweet, that Jesus ever liveth. He is the same yesterday, and to-day, and for ever. You will never find Jesus so precious as when the world is one vast howling wilderness. Then he is like a rose blooming in the midst of the desolation - a rock rising above the storm."


2 comments:

  1. God's grace is sufficient even for the over-tired and over-busy days. It is a busy time of year but you have even got as far a writing about the week. My blog post about our week is still in my head!

    ReplyDelete