Pages

Friday, 24 June 2016

Friday Reflections - 9

As I right this, the news is full of the UK vote to leave the EU. No doubt this is a momentous decision, and a fascinating time for those of us who are interested in politics. The news has been followed closely by my older two boys, as well as by my husband and myself.

Earlier this week, we had a Bible study in Philippians, just the day before the polls opened for the referendum vote, and we read Paul's words to the Christians in Philippi:
 But our citizenship is in heaven, and we eagerly await a Saviour from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body. Philippians 3:20-21
It is good to be reminded that our ultimate identity is found in our citizenship of heaven, not of any earthly realm, and that we share that citizenship with men and women from every nation on earth, with whom we are united in Christ.

This week has also meant a 9th birthday for my second son. He's a lovely, gentle soul, and had a birthday celebration with a couple of special friends. We played pass-the-parcel, the chocolate game, and consequences, and ate a birthday tea.

Birthday Boy with a Birthday Book

Birthday Cake

Then, on Monday, we were all back to work in earnest. By the end of next week, we will be starting to finish up the curriculum for this year, but this last week was a full one. Everyone is doing double maths at the moment, so that the maths curriculum for this year will be finished soon. This has added to the workload, but they are mainly happy with this as they know that they are nearly at the end.

My 7 year old (who loves maths) had to work harder than usual to grasp how to do simple long division this week, but he is now pleased with himself now that he has mastered it; he shed a few tears of frustration along the way - partly because he could do most of the sums very quickly in his head and I insisted he needed to learn the method anyway!

Maths ( For my 7 Year Old)

We are also nearly at the end of the first volume of The Story of the World. This week the children all designed shields with a Chi Rho device on as we learned about Constantine's conversion to Christianity. This was even more popular than I anticipated, and they produced some striking designs.

Shield Designs

We have also had trips to the park, friends visiting for a Latin class, and swimming lessons.

Park Trip

In addition to teaching the children, we have had a full week of church commitments. I was leading Young Church last week, and again this Sunday and we have had meetings in our home Monday to Thursday, three of which I attended with Michael. We are definitely back from holiday and into the thick of ministry and home educating responsibilities! I am, however, much less tired - or I was until I stayed up late to watch the first results of the referendum come in. It required some restraint not to stay up most of the night, but I'm glad that I'm still functioning today.


No comments:

Post a Comment