Pages

Thursday, 11 August 2016

Year 6 - The Plan

We are about half way through our summer break, and although I am nowhere near half way through my list of jobs, I have managed to buy most of my curriculum for next year. Perhaps this is because ordering books is more fun than cleaning out the fridge.

Year 6 Books - Ready for Use

Planning for my eldest is relatively straightforward. Usually this has meant getting the next book on from last year, though there are some changes and some additions too. Here's the plan:

Bible:

Discover Bible notes.

Bible Time; We have been working through the Bible in chunks. We are part-way through the Psalms at the moment, and will continue from where we left off.

In addition, we will have family devotions led by Michael over breakfast. My eldest is also reading through the Bible on his own, 1 chapter a night (he's currently reading through Ezekiel).

(See here for more about how we teach the Bible to our children.)

English:

Spelling Workout H
Rod & Staff Building Christian English 7, Building Securely
Writing with Skill 1
Set Reading

Maths:

Singapore Maths 6A
Mental Maths

History:

The Story of the World 2 - The Middle Ages: From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of the Renaissance

(I have written about this curriculum here)

Latin:

Latin Prep Book 2 (continued)

Classical Greek

An Introduction to Classical Greek (Initially just weekly, though I plan to build in more as the year progresses)

IT

Programming (Code.org)
Touch typing

Art

An art project once a week (sometimes as part of our history programme).
We plan to use lessons from ArtAchieve for at least some weeks.

Science

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding Vol. 2 (I've written about this here.)
Exploring Nature with Children (New for this year.)

Music:

Piano

This is the formal work I have planned. In addition, there is our home education group where we are focusing on different countries (geography!), trips out to museums and other places of interest, archaeology club, swimming lessons, and a wide range of reading on many different subjects.

Of course, this is just a plan, and no doubt I will have to make some adjustments over the year. I find it helpful to know where we are at least starting from, though. Plus, new books neatly arranged ready for the new academic year make me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment