Pages

Thursday, 1 December 2016

Advent 2016

Advent has begun, and preparation for Christmas has started in earnest. As I write, the children are sitting round the table making some Christmas presents, with Christmas music playing. It sounds very peaceful, but they are all talking and laughing incredibly loudly...

We have started our advent calendar once again. I made it last year for them, and am still slightly astonished that I made it myself (I am not gifted in craft of any kind generally!), and it looked even better than I remembered. We started our day with a family Bible devotion focusing on God's creation after the first decoration was taken from its pocket by our 9 year old.

Day 1 on the advent calendar.


The first decoration has been added.


I also started to read The Tanglewoods' Secret by Patricia St.John aloud this morning. This is not the first time I have read this book, and the older two remember the story well and with great affection. The younger two don't remember it, however, so it feels new to them. I'm pretty sure that I won't make it to the end without crying - but it is a beautiful book to share with the children as we approach Christmas.

Of course, in a ministry family, Christmas also means lots of church events and activities coming up. In addition to the usual busyness of Christmas, this can make it a pretty hectic time of year. Nonetheless, I enjoy this season in spite of all there is to do, and especially the many chance we have to slow down and think about the coming of Jesus. So familiar, yet still so astonishing and poignant, I love hearing again the moving narratives in the gospels, and teaching my children about the wonderful coming of our Saviour.






No comments:

Post a Comment