Pages

Tuesday, 31 January 2017

2017 Reading Challenge - January

We have started our challenge, and it has been good for all of us to read books that we wouldn't have chosen without the structure of the list.

Michael has read four books so far, and tells me that he particularly enjoyed The Poetic Wonder of Isaac Watts by Douglas Bond. I also found this a helpful and enjoyable book, and it was probably one of my favourite books so far, alongside The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert by Rosaria Butterfield, and Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges.

I asked the boys this evening which were their favourite books so far, and my 11 and 9 year olds both chose The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. They have read six and five books from their lists respectively, so they are doing well. Incidentally, I have asked them to write down everything they read this year so that I can see clearly what they are reading.This means that I know that they have each finished about 15 books in total already this year - so the challenge isn't impacting on their other reading!

My 7 year old has been very sweetly enthusiastic about the reading challenge, and has completed two books so far, with another two on the go. He says his best books so far are his current book, 10 Boys Who Changed the World by Irene Howat, and Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl. He reads slowly, but with great determination.

It is only January - so I have no idea where we will be by the end of the year - but even if it all peters out by March, we have all read some great books.

No comments:

Post a Comment